06 May 2011

Things I have knit recently

I've been doing some charity knitting, but being reasonable with myself about it.

These two scarves plus hat (the hat is one of my portable projects that I worked on at DFW Fiber Fest) went to Mittens for Akkol:
OK, I had the green scarf "in stock" having knit it for a charity that then decided they wanted washable yarns. It's knit from Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride. The brown one is leftover plotulopi from the sweater I entered in last year's Berlin Fair, and the hat is a ball of Gedifra "Ombretta" (hence the blue-and-green shading). I just doodled the patterns on the brown scarf and the hat, which has a tidy and stretchy overall cable design.



Speaking of DFW Fiber Fest, I took these to donate to their charity collection:


The darker hat (a really soft boucle in maroon with flecks of other colours) was made for someone undergoing chemo, who then didn't need it. And the others were from some fun yarn I found and wanted to make into something for a child.


If you missed it, here is the picture of my knitted and crocheted items from the Berlin Fair:Yes, everything took a ribbon, seconds and thirds. The two extra ribbons on the sweater are for my baked items. Obviously, those didn't get returned after the fair!


I made a number of scarves for Scarves from the Heart, for a special event they did at the end of April:

Various yarns, including some old ones from the stash (the springtime one at the bottom and the two on the left), Paton's Lace in "Sachet" (which I keep thinking of as "Pansies"), and two new ones in the Joann's house line "Sensations". A lot of people loved the citrus-stripes one, and I enjoyed working with it.


And if scarves look tedious (although the different yarns and patterns helped me stay interested), think about a blanket:

I used a lot of sock yarn held triple, mostly to get rid of a surprising quantity of sock yarn I found while sorting the stash. Border includes an oddball of solid wool and was crocheted because I was tired of knitting. The blanket and these vests went off to Afghans for Afghans, for their latest campaign:

The bottom one is actually orange, not pink. Two solids in Paton's Wool, doubled for the ribbing, and then single with a strand of Knitpicks' "Essentials" - again an ancient and discontinued yarn from the stash. The brown one with red accents was part of an abandoned sweater that I frogged and reworked.


And for those who think I need to be knitting for myself: Technically, it's crocheting. A small shawl for me to wear around my office. The yarn is Cherry Tree Hill's ARIEL in a colourway called "Misty Moor." The yarn is discontinued and who knows how long it's been in the stash? I do like the result. Started it at DFW Fiber Fest, finished last weekend at my grandmother's.

No comments:

Post a Comment