A friend of mine cross-blogs with someone who suggests topics on Tuesdays, and you have to list ten items that fit under that topic. This week it was SOUPS and even though I didn't get it done yesterday, here are ten soups that I love:
1. Italian wedding soup - love the little meatballs, the greens, and the pasta pearls. Yes, the link is to a commercial canned soup, I get lazy for this one.
2. Mushroom barley soup - an earthy soup, could be vegetarian but substantial enough for a winter meal.
3. French onion soup, as long as it's not too oily. I just love onions!
4. Cabbage soup - not just boiled cabbage, but the sweet-and-sour type. I probably have a taste for this from my Eastern European heritage.
5. Tom Yung Goong - the Thai lemongrass soup that usually has chicken, may have tofu in a vegan version. Tom Kai Gai, which uses cocoanut milk, is pretty good too.
6. Chinese hot and sour soup is one of my go-tos when I have a cold.
7. Almost any Japanese udon noodle soup. Other ingredients depend upon the weather and my mood. Sluuuuurp!!
8. Speaking of weather, when it is hot I can eat (or drink?) gazpacho by the quart.
9. Ditto borscht, which I can also take hot in the winter, especially if it has beef bits in it. But in summer just the clear juices, with beet shreds in the bottom. No sour cream, and not too sweet.
10. Hard to decide what should be here. My mother's lentil soup? Chinese egg drop or Greek avgolemono? I think it will have to be the chili my brother makes every Christmas eve. Not quite the same as the one my father made when we were kids, but pretty good, especially with chunks of his homemade cornbread on the side. No recipe, since everybody seems to have their own favourite.