01 December 2020

Three shawls in November

 By the official calendar, it is December.

For Thanksgiving last week I got some turkey at a local barbeque place and ate it with sweet potatoes cooked with apples; some greens; and of course a slice of cranberry jelly.  Dessert was a local dairy's pumpkin pie ice cream.

I got to see family for the first time since February or last December, depending upon who it was, as we did a Zoom gathering.  There have been a few photographs, but not live.  I know some families have been doing weekly online gatherings, but somehow we haven't done it.  Next one will be on Christmas Day.

My boss ordered me to take the four-day weekend, and I did very well at (mostly) staying off work.  It helps when most of the persons with whom I am working also have the long weekend!  Weather cooperated so I did some walking outside, and house chores, and attended a friend's (online this year) stupid movies night.  Attendance was much higher than in past years as people from far and wide could attend - and make comments about the films.

Status of my November resolutions

I did fairly well - I finished my grandmother's twinset:


They are Wool-Ease DK in "Meadow".  I used all but about four metres of three full cakes.

It's on the way to her, along with another shawl I'd knit for her:

This is one cake of Parfait Layers in "Peachy Keen", a very simple pattern with eyelets on the rows where the colour changes.  Just a small bit of yarn remained.  This one zipped along because it is a chunky yarn.  I think my grandmother will love how soft it feels.

I also finished my Textured Triangle Shawl of the Periwinkle Sheep's Rhinebeck 2020 colourway:

I rarely knit anything this quickly after buying a commemorative yarn, even when I know what I want to do, but somehow this leapt ahead.  I had to start it three times: First restart was because I didn't like the resulting fabric and drape, so I moved up a needle size to US#8.  Then I realized that one of the skeins was very different from the others, and I thought it would do better at the lower border than the beginning triangle.  So, restart and re-restart, but I am very happy with the finished shawl.  One benefit is that I could tell I didn't like the garter lace, so I changed the return rows from K to P  as the closeup shows.  I like it much better.

My December mini-resolutions

Finish one of my UFOs, and finish a book.  I currently have three partially-read on my headboard, and I have a couple of holiday-themed ones waiting.  I am going to finish one of the three before I open another!  As for the UFOs, I have an abundance of options.

No comments:

Post a Comment