29 May 2023

"War will exist until...."

This was the THOUGHT FOR A DAY in my "A Word A Day" email today (they usually come from somebody whose birthday is on that date), and seems quite apt for Memorial Day:  

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."
John F. Kennedy, 35th US president (29 May 1917 - 22 Nov 1963)


Today I attended a service at the local community center, at which the featured speaker was from the Wounded Warriors Project.  Before going, very early on a rainy morning, I set out to post some "art abandonment" type of items inspired by a tag posted to the Random Acts of Crochet Kindness group on Facebook.  A friend told me about it, and I think they do cool things, and I found the USA group as well.

  


I made two dozen (because the tags provided by the group admin are six to a page) coasters or mug mats and put each into a zipper bag, then tied them to the arms of benches the local Veterans Club built and had installed around the community and on the walking paths. 


Later in the day I saw one was taken; I haven't been out to check on the others.  Because of the rain, people may not be out and noticing as they would on a nice sunny day.

I'll end today's post with this poem, often read on Memorial Day:

No comments:

Post a Comment