01 June 2020

Storm and Songs and Sock


When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about.
Haruki Murakami, writer, born January 12, 1949 in Kyoto



We certainly find ourselves in and surrounded by storms these days.  Pandemic, protests, riots, flurries of news reports from all sides.  The inexplicable death of a man at the hands of police, and people unable to stop it - and now, unable to stop challenging the status quo that contributed to George Floyd's death.  And so many others.

I wonder if people will think this a frivolous blog, because I haven't been tracking how the pandemic has affected me and my family and friends, and how I feel about all the terribleness in the world.  It's not in my nature to be expressive in that way.  I have been talking with family and friends and in some ways feel "talked out" in the topics of sadness and stress and suffering.  Hence my blog containing other things.

Such as the songs I posted for the rest of the 31-Day Song Challenge month:
Day 17:  I've been in a backup group for karaoke, but never leading (although I might lip-sync, but that's not what they asked), much less in a duet.  Either of these work, both from musicals:  Annie Get Your Gun and Godspell.
Day 18:  I learned this song as a child, and wondered where it originated.
Day 19:  I think a ballet suite counts as a song that makes me think about life.
Day 20:  So many meanings in this song, at least for me.
Day 21:  This was one of the first songs I learned to play on the guitar.  Not well, but I did.
Day 22:  I first heard "Hafan Gobaith" when I was involved with the North American Welsh Choir.  Sir Bryn Terfel's rendition isn't quite a moving to me, but more than adequate.
Day 23:  I definitely think that everybody should listen to "Fanfare for the Common Man".  So many recordings from which to choose.
Day 24:  It didn't take long for me to choose THE BAND as a band I wish were still together, it took much longer to select a song (and a second) to feature.
Day 25:  I chose Beverly Sills as the deceased artist.
Day 26:  Since I couldn't think of "a song that makes me want to fall in love", I chose songs that make me want to dance with somebody.
Day 27:  A song that breaks my heart.
Day 28:  Since I'd already shared so many songs by performers whose voices I love, I focused on a couple of bass-baritones today.
Day 29:  A song from my childhood.
Day 30:  A song that reminds me of me (and some of my friends), but I never cut class or drank beer.
Day 31:  This song, and performance, comforts my soul, and reminds me of several family events.  And is so ironic to post right now.


Status of Resolutions

The blanket is finished and mailed, but I have not heard that it has arrived, so I cannot show it.  I did not finish the vest or the pair of socks, or even a single sock:


Part of that was trying to get the pattern to work with the yarns, and adjusting the stitch count when it was clear the first attempt was too big around, and then as I bound off I decided I really could make it longer, especially as I have the other lightest colour.  So as you can see, it's close but not yet finished.

I did finish several scarves, because I needed something meditatively simple due to high stress levels this month.  Work has been very busy, and I've felt guilty because so many people I know are out of work or on reduced hours or income.  People are being WFR'd at work.  So - I knit, and crochet.  And socks on US#1 needles need too much focus.

The timing meant I had to cook something quickly for our monthly cooking club, and since it was just before Shavuos I made a noodle kugel with things I had on hand, including shell macaroni instead of flat noodles.  It came out tasty, with a nice spiced sugar topping:


June Mini-Resolutions

Easy to decide to finish at least two items I have OTN, but which ones?  Might be the vest, might be the sock, might be something entirely different.  I also have another secret project for a friend, so I cannot say more, but hopefully will be able to post pictures later in the month.  I already have July planned, so I need to get things done in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment