22 June 2020

Summer came in

Riffing on "Summer is icumin in", the old song celebrating the Solstice.  I watched what I could see of the livestream from Stonehenge, but they seem to have had a typically overcast British morning and the sun didn't blaze through.

I'm about a week behind for a midmonth update.  Much has gone on in the greater world, and locally.  Right now about 60% of the states are seeing an upward climb in confirmed cases, hospitalizations, and deaths from COVID-19.  I live in one of the few with a decline, but we're not confident that will hold, especially with the state reopening and people refusing to wear masks or follow basic kindnesses about keeping distant from each other.  Also, when I walk past some of the outside dining areas, it seems the tables may be six feet from edge-to-edge, but that doesn't allow patrons to be six feet apart.

Some people say they are eager to eat at or in a restaurant to keep a local business going.  Others say they will continue doing take-out as they feel it is safer.  I've thought about picking up a pizza, but that requires preordering and being at the store when you say you will, which I think is not worth driving specially and I haven't had time when in that area to add it to my travels.

My CSA made the first delivery this week.  I split it with friends, and ended up with lots of radishes, two types, which I am eating raw or cooked.  I went to the farmstand to get yoghurt, and some of the season's first tomatoes, which I've eaten in various sandwiches with herbs on top.  I roasted chicken with Thai basil stuffed under the skin because I didn't want to fuss with breaking down the chicken for Thai Basil Chicken; while it roasted I did a stirfry of snap peas and garlic scapes, with Asian chili sauce, for a side dish.  With rice the meal was something of an upscale, deconstructed version of Thai Basil Chicken, and yummy.

Also yummy the local strawberries which are starting to arrive, and which I am eating daily.

Resolutions Update

I finished the sock:

Now I have to start the second one.

Nothing else that was OTN has been finished, but I did complete the secret project, with enough yarn for a second item.  I'm also designing the second one and it is going much more quickly (even with a measuring error that required frogging) and I should be able to put the package into the mail next weekend.  Pictures after they are received, in case the recipient follows my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment