06 November 2023

I, Spy

Work had a virtual Hallowe'en party hosted by the security team, so I dressed as Defender Of The Cyber-Systems, complete with broom to clean up after evicting the Evil Hackers and Infiltraitors:
I forgot to upload the photo to the competition
page, oh, well, but I got kudos in the 'party'!


I took a vacation (the first proper one since 2019, thanks to the pandemic and my overwrought work ethic, and using any PTO days to visit family and move and wrap up a couple estates) last week, five days in Washington, D.C., on a Spies & Espionage programme.  It was fun.


Of course we did the expected National Cryptologic Museum and International Spy Museum, the former small and the latter so large I ended up skipping a few things and not doing "the assignment" because it was also the only day we had free time and I wanted to get to Ford's Theater to see it since it was renovated (yes, a long time ago) and the Petersen House.  That evening, another woman on the tour and I went to Arena Stage to see "POTUS" which was rather enjoyable.  Lots of crazy twists.

   
Photo op at "POTUS" - trying to look serious.

Aside from the field trips (also to Lafayette Square, to learn about espionage that happened around it, and elsewhere in the city) we had lectures from current and former employees of three-letter organizations.  We saw most of the major war memorials and got to hear a doughboy play Taps at the WWI memorial, as happens every evening:
    


On Wednesday I got there early enough to participate in a couple of meetings of my own, and then spent about 90 minutes going through part of the National Gallery of Art, which was walking distance from our hotel.  I took a LOT of photos, am sharing just a few:






On Sunday, I went up to Maryland to visit a friend who lives there, somebody I met through an online knitting/crochet/whatever group to which we both belong.  Well, I founded it, and she's helped on and off over time.  Home this morning.

Because there was lots of sitting time, I finished some knitted and crocheted things.  This week I need to organize what I plan to sell next Sunday at the local Arts & Crafts Collective sale.  I don't have great hopes of selling things, but I guess it will be a learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment