29 October 2023

Team Turtle Walks in San Antonio

This year the Association of Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting was in San Antonio, a city where my family has lived since the late 19th Century.  A number of years ago, I started Team Turtle so people can get together and walk in the morning before the sessions began.  This is a time to socialize, but being in a hometown (of sorts) I had to add some history to our walks.

An historic T-shirt that I wore on one walk.

For those who were available on Sunday morning, I suggested we go to the only UNESCO World Heritage Site in Texas, Missions National Park.  Most of us arrived in time to walk around and some went to see another mission while others took the early tour of Mission San Jose.  Our guide was happy to pose with Turtle, our walk mascot.


Day 1 of our official walks, of course I had to take the group to see The Alamo.

It was before opening hours, so we had to peek through the fence.

San Fernando Cathedral, home of the oldest
continually active religious community in the city.

Bexar County Courthouse, oldest continually
operating courthouse in Texas.

Day 2 we went to El Mercado, a bit challenged due to roadwork, and again before the shops opened.

Dia de Los Muertos decorations abounded.

Too early for churros.  Turtle was sad.

Day 3 we went to La Villita, which I chose because it was close.  My mother insisted I be sure to take the group there, because of its history and current status as an arts community.

One of the many sculptures in La Villita.

Ojos de Dios on the fence surrounding the church.


We passed the Briscoe Museum of Western Art.

The parties were too late for Turtle to be out, but I went to a few.  Not many pictures except of the man hand-rolling cigars.




This style is called a cheroot and is completely by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment