09 April 2024

Eighty percent-ish

That's now much of an eclipse we were supposed to get, although the sliver looked pretty small when I saw it.  I used the ISO 12312-2 glasses and went out every so often to have a peek; I couldn't take off two hours from work, although I did have it blocked on my calendar so I wouldn't get pulled into a meeting.

I'd won a bucket of eclipse-related items for a very low bid in the Dallas Winds fundraiser auction, and it arrived on Thursday:

The contents included:

- 10 ISO compliant solar eclipse glasses,

- Total eclipse T-shirt, with The North -Texas Tour printed on it

- 'I got mooned in Dallas' mouse pad

- Solar eclipse iron artwork

- Moon pies

- Sun chips

- One bottle and two cans of Sunkist

- Starburst candies

- Milky Way candy bar

- Mars candy bar

- Total Eclipse DFW Christmas ornament

- Two eclipse cups, one orange and one green

- Spaceship pencils

- Silver, 1 ounce bullion Texas total eclipse bullion coin

I took the chocolate items (except for a Moon Pie I gave to my parents; my father said it had been years, decades since he'd had one) and soda pop and some of the glasses to the Astronomy Club meeting on Sunday, where the leader talked about eclipses and preparation and safe viewing.  He and another member set up a viewing station with special lenses on their telescopes, but I didn't walk over.  I was a bit afraid that if I did, there'd be a line and I'd want to stay and view more and I'd miss work, which I couldn't do as I had evening plans.  Turns out over 90 people were there, so I am glad I viewed it from my front yard.

A friend posted this question; she was well outside the zone:

So how was the eclipse for you all? The only way you could tell there was one here was that the wild rabbit popped out of the bushes as if it were daybreak or dusk and started mowing away at the weeds. Which I thought was pretty funny.

I meant to post this last night, but went to the first meeting I've been able to attend of a local fiber arts group.  This is a different one from the one I've attended previously and I think I'll attend both for a while and see who I meet and what they do.  This one had a local spinner and dyer come to tell about the dye garden she has and her experiments with plant dyeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment