31 January 2021

Donations before the storm

My congregation's social justice committee decided to collect items for the South Park Inn and worked with Hands on Hartford for some programming.  This gave me incentive to finish a few items.  These hats were made from Red Heart's Heat Wave yarn, which is a manmade fiber that absorbs heat from sunlight or other UV light.  I picked three colours that I thought look happy together.  The first hat I made is the V-stitch one, and then I decided to try the Ugly Christmas Sweater Beanie.  It was more fun than I thought it would be to make.  These photos show the colours fairly reaslistically:
I had enough yarn left over to do a second hat, for which I reversed the Blue Skies and Beach Ball, leaving Radio in the same position.  Unfortunately, the light was different enough when I photographed the two together, so the colours look very different:

In addition to the hats, I had ten scarves I'd made and was waiting to donate someplace (often I would take them when I went on trips back to North Texas, sending them to the Samaritan Inn, but of course I haven't been there since last March).  I'd forgotten about some of these:

They also collected toiletries, so I gave them all the little things I'd collected over my travels in 2019 and early 2020, plus some bars of soap because when I organized the bathroom cabinets I discovered how much I've acquired.  Well, I love pretty soaps, and certain scents, and I tended to stock up, but with all the travel wasn't home to use it.  In the last year I've made definite inroads to my collection, but there's more than enough to keep me clean for quite some time.

The elder daughter of the social justice committee's leader hosted an educational program on Martin Luther King Day weekend, when our congregation does service activities, showing us how to arm-knit scarves and blankets, and how to make blankets of fleece.  I still had some fleece blanket kits from when I made them for a dialysis center (donations suspended due to the pandemic) so I made two of them.  Forgot to take a photo!

I packed everything up and dropped four large bags at their home, because the leader was willing to make a collection and drop them at South Park Inn.  We're supposed to get a big snowstorm this weekend and I wanted to be sure she has them; awaiting confirmation.

Mini-Resolution Update

I've knit a bit more on the Omega shawl but otherwise am not making much progress.  I still haven't made 7/7 on my tracker, in part thanks to work (when you have to stay up until midnight work work with somebody in Japan, it's hard to get the required hours of sleep) and in part just because.  But I have a year to do it, so I'm not yet discouraged.

I noticed that I am completing every month on Microsoft Games Solitaire, something I rarely did.  I realize that it's because I am home, because you have to finish all the days by the last day of the month, and while you can do catch-ups for missed days, it's the last day that I was often away.  Now I've been home and am racking up month after month of completion.  It feels good - and weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment