08 August 2021

Learning something new.

My best friend's elder daughter graduated from high school and is on her way to college.  I asked what to send as a gift, and since the daughter would love something handmade from me, we sorted out a pattern and colour (pastels) and yarn ("washable, natural material, nothing sparkly") and so forth.

It's high time I started work on it, so I did this afternoon, winding the first hank of yarn and reading through the pattern.  Then I realized I had to learn to do the foundation single crochet, which I usually avoid by doing a chain and then a row of regular single crochet.  I decided that I need to learn to do this properly, since the pattern requires it, so with much trial and error, I did:

I am now on Row 8 of the back, making good progress.  The yarn is Cascade Yarns Nifty Cotton, a washable 100% cotton yarn, and colour chosen by the recipient.  She doesn't know what I am making.  {Seventh Inning Stretch update:  The back is an inch too wide.  I am going to frog and remove four stitches.  The next smaller size is eight inches smaller and I think it will be too small.  So there's an evening's work gone - at least I have the rhythm of the pattern now, and crocheting goes fast.}

I was supposed to be there next week to help her pack for the move to college, but thanks to the Delta Variant, I'm not going to make the trip.  Maybe we'll work out a way to do it by Zoom or Facetime.

This week I also finished a sweater for Mittens for Akkol, and I really like how it came out:
 
Lopi Lite, plain stockinette in black, with garter stitch borders.  I may make another for me, but of a different yarn.  I have plenty of leftovers, so started a scarf, which doesn't look like much at the moment, to go with another grad sweater.  Further progress will be made on it or the pink thing during tonight's Crosstown Classic.

Reading

After finishing a book last month, I am making progress on two others.  I'd set aside The Hamilton Affair some months back, and since I hope to visit my parents soon I want to finish so I can return it to the library in their community's clubhouse.  I'm in the home stretch now and I think I'll start My Dear Hamilton next, and donate it to the library with the other.

I also have Tuesdays with Morrie which my father lent to me, and which is a quick read.  I hope to finish it so I can return it on my next trip.  We're hoping that to visit family, and not randomly travel about, will be safe.  I know many people who are taking vacations or visiting family or even going to camp and doing all kinds of things I haven't felt safe doing, so hopefully this little bit of travel will be possible and go well.  It's so hard to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment