09 February 2024

As they say, "Inconceivable......."

I am (mostly) on a yarn diet this year, but a number of months ago I received a newsletter from an indie dyer whose work I enjoy, saying that she would be creating a package based upon "The Princess Bride" and preorders were open for a short time.  She created two mystery boxes, one with yarn and one with cross-stitch supplies, including a pattern.

I know that "The Princess Bride" fandom is huge, and strong, and my love of the film is quieter than most.  There was no way I'd miss this opportunity, even though I skip most of hers because I'm not that into whatever source material is used as the inspiration.  But this time?  I think I preordered both boxes within an hour.  I definitely didn't want to chance missing them!

The mailing was scheduled for early February, and this week I received a package of two boxes taped together.  Carefully I opened them, hoping to preserve the sticker:
One box appeared to have been opened and resealed in the packing, so I have only one intact sticker.  I opened the box from the bottom to keep the sticker intact.  Each box contained the wrapped package as shown.  Each included an informational card, with this on the front and the specific items for each kit on the back:


This is the embroidery kit:

It includes hand-dyed fabric (I chose 36-count linen) and flosses, and a pattern, plus a bunch of goodies.  In the pink heart is a needlekeeper reading "As You Wish".  The black bag contains buttons with a six-fingered hand and a bishop's miter with the word "Mawwidge".  There's a lip balm in "Buttercup" flavour.

This is the pattern:

Many of the additional goodies are the same in the yarn kit:


The nametag boxes are empty; you can put the goodies inside.  This kit includes some needle stoppers that are little hearts, and instead of the needlekeeper the pink heart contains a set of progress keepers and stitch markers, including a tiny bottle of Iocaine Powder:

The yarn colourway is "Humperdink" and it's very similar to her "Flying Monkeys" and an OOAK I purchased at some past point from her clearance section, so I am considering combining the three into something large enough.  I looked online for patterns inspired by the film and found one four-colour multi-patterned shawl, and a couple patterns for double-knit (double-sided) scarves with quotes and images.  Neither right for this yarn, so I will continue to hunt.

I ordered one kit with a flat project bag and one with a gusseted one so I have both styles.

The chocolate-covered almonds puzzled me until I read that they are inspired by Miracle Max's pill.  Since I don't eat chocolate, and there are two packages, they will be a Valentine's gift to my parents who love dark chocolate and almonds, singly or together.

No comments:

Post a Comment