16 August 2026

I have a heart! (But lost at yarn chicken)

A friend announced that she would become a grandmother (or "Gigi", as she chooses to be called) this year, and I decided to make a blanket for her to have at home for when the wee one visits.  I thought he was due in September, but it was July, so I am behind getting the gift to her.*

I began work, decided not to take it traveling as the pattern is a bit complicated, and when I worked on it upon return, learned that I have miscalculated on the yarn needed:
Another ball of the purple is on order.
Sparkle yarn and these colours suit the grandmother.

Because I have never done a C2C (corner-to-corner, usually crocheted) anything with a design worked into it, and because I used the free version which does not contain a diagram, I worked this on faith.  I added the two-square border to use less of the purple (and also thought about doing a purple heart on red, but decided I prefer it the other way) so for most of this I was working with five ends of yarn.

For the other C2C project I am working on, I've sewn the strips together.  I added to the two short ones and all six matched, but somehow, when I sewed the strips together:
Bottom left corner - I thought a corner would
be easier to infill and less obtrusive.

Yep, one strip is shorter than the others.  And that is the starting edge, so I couldn't just unravel it and add more.  Instead, I worked a small panel into that corner, so texture-wise it matches, even if the colour pattern (more accurate in the photo above) goes a bit wonky:

Now a row of double crochet around the edge, which you can see starting along the righthand side, and done.  


* In my religion, you don't give gifts before the baby is born.  I have attended a couple of pre-birth baby showers for people of other faiths, but one of the babies attended as he was born a couple of months early.  So I believe in superstition.

No comments:

Post a Comment