04 April 2020

The Fiber Fest that Wasn't - Day 3

Today at DFW Fiber Fest I was going to do an all-day class called the "I Am Dragon Trilogy" which teaches a format that looks like dragon scales.  I've tried a crocheted version and it's tedious and I was hoping for some hints and tricks.

Instead, I worked a bit on the vest, not enough to make a progress picture worthwhile because I also did some other things, including the weekly Torah Study, which included a discussion about whether it is acceptable to have somebody go to the grocery store for you.  While the rabbi didn't offer an answer, we had many opinions and views shared, including from one participant who is a healthcare professional and did catch COVID-19 at work.

After class, I went out to the post office, pharmacy, and farmstand.  I wore this outfit, with the sweatshirt zipped and hood up, and further accessorized with gloves and shoes:
At the post office I picked up a few more packages of goodies from DFW Fiber Fest vendors:
A Hundred Ravens.  A friend adores
their yarn and the one on right is the
commemorative show colour.
Brazen Stitchery - not sure why
I ordered the one with all the pink,
but I couldn't resist "Hermione".


LeRoo's yarn is REALLY soft.
moondrake added the pink; the lavender
and brown is their commemorative colourway.

That should be the end of it, but some vendors held out their offerings until this weekend, or have now added some show-special items.  Dang it.

Gnomespun isn't a vendor, but I was reading about the spinning wheel he made at 1/16th size, and wandering into his shop area, and somehow these showed up in my mailbox, too:

The blue is even more amazing in person than onscreen, and I am SO glad I gave in to temptation.

After that photo shoot the mail went back into the boot/trunk of the car to wait a few days.  then the packages get wiped down before coming into the house, and isolated in a corner for a few more days.  I took the photos to show the yarn during DFW Fiber Fest weekend.

Then I scrubbed off the veggies I'd gotten at the farmstand: two kinds of radishes, rainbow carrots, stripetti squash, brussels sprouts, rapini, mushrooms (gently soaked, not scrubbed, because they are delicate), golden beets, sweet potatoes, and parsnips.  I also got a dozen eggs, which I wiped before putting into the refrigerator.  They took a preorder  of a couple items I wanted to be sure to get and packed the rest while I was there; the farmstand is an open shed and they let one person in at a time, and do all the picking and packing for you.  Hurrah for supporting local farms.

Then I scrubbed myself and put on fresh clothing:
  
Closeup of the leggings.
I don't know why they look
so grey in the full-body photo.

At DFW Fiber Fest I wouldn't be wandering about in just a shirt and leggings, but at home, I can do it.  And with the day as sunny as it ended up being, I'm more than warm enough.  It's hard to see the shirt in the morning photo above, but it's the same saying, just on a different colour and the light grey has short sleeves.

And yes, I am planning a crochet project for some of the yarn I've gotten from the vendors this year, although the several ideas I've had are all knitting.  Back to the vest for now.

I'm knitting while watching streaming arts programs:  Met Opera, Andrew Lloyd Webber, etc.  I'd planned to be at Rover Dramawerks for their "365 Women a Year" festival, but they have been shut down since mid-March, like most of north Texas nonessential businesses.  You can see the sign the City of Plano posted to their door at the top of their website.  They received permission to post video from some of their "10 Minute Plays Festival" and although I'd been to the shows, I'm enjoying watching them again.  I'll probably send the price of a ticket or two to them in appreciation - arts organizations are hurting now, and any bit that can help, really does.

No comments:

Post a Comment