02 July 2023

World UFO Day

I have heard that we are now to refer to "unexplained anomalous phenomena" (UAP) instead of "unidentified flying objects" (UFO) for what many people think are alien visitors to our planet.  I think it's going to be a long time before people change what they call those.

For fiber people, and other creative types, a "UFO" has another meaning:  "Un-Finished Object".  This is something that has been abandoned, or set aside, for one of many reasons.  Although I want to make progress on the pinks-and-purples blanket, and I was accepted as a sock-and-mitts pattern test knitter, I decided to pull out a UFO of my own and see about making progress.

The yarn is from Woolworths, so you have some
idea about how long ago I might have begun this.

I wanted to get to the end of the current skein, but won't tonight because I have been doing other things today.  It goes back in the bin while I work on the two deadline projects, and because it requires enough attention to not be mindless knitting.

My parents' anniversary was yesterday, so in addition to our weekly soufflĂ© (their request for anniversary dinner) I made some fresh blueberry muffins and dropped them off early in the morning, so they were waiting when my parents got up for breakfast:

I made a half-batch of six, and kept two.

This week I had a number of work deadlines, and of course reading for my class, and I signed up for the Mark Twain House & Museum Reading Challenge.  I will count the same books as for my already-in-progress reading challenge, and since the books we are reading for class are literature, I've decided that I can count the ones I read in full.  We just finished Mary Shelley's Frankenstein in the original 1818 version.  Fascinating to read as it is so different from anything you see in the movies.  Our instructor was not born in the USA so she read the book before seeing any films, and discussed how it gives a different perspective.  I quickly decided that I had to look on the book as standing on its own, and not as a precursor to any film, since it really is different.  I recommend reading it if you like such things, and remember that it was written in the early 19th Century (era of Jane Austen, to get an idea of the writing style prevalent then) so it won't be the sort of science fiction most of us are accustomed to read.  Also, the book was heavily revised before the next version, which I want to read for comparison purposes - but first, I have to finish this week's assignment, and prepare my speeches for Wednesday's online production called "Pass the Skull" - I have two of Laertes' speeches, one of which involves quite a bit of movement.  That is hard to figure out with no cameraperson handy!


PS:  I have tried to remove the white highlighting over the text, without success.  UGH.

No comments:

Post a Comment