31 March 2024

Trans Day Jesus

Today is the Transgender Day of Visibility, and this cartoon is extremely appropriate:


Naturally, the far right are having a meltdown about this, claiming the President took over Easter for the event, when March 31st has been the International Transgender Day of Visibility since 2009.  I guess that shows how little they've paid attention to the date in the past.  Easter is the date that moves all around the calendar.

Following up on last week's post, here are some photos I took while wandering around the UCLA campus.  Several buildings wear mosaics that align to the coursework inside:










Other buildings are just pretty:


Apparently there is a show being filmed on campus during break.




The conference center was filled with all kinds of art - sculpture, paintings, prints, photography, and so on.  Many of the artists have a connection to UCLA.  I may do a post later with some of the images but this one is getting long enough.

It was spring break, so most students were away, which meant most places on campus were closed.  This only affected me on Sunday evening when I decided to get some food, preferably takeout.  The restaurant in the hotel had a basic menu of burgers, pizza, and salads that I did not find appealing (apparently there is a better menu Monday-Friday), and when I asked about food options nearby I was directed (vaguely) to the student union.  Luckily I found it, but only a Carl's Jr was open, so I got a chicken sandwich.  The next night I learned that not far away were many eateries of all kinds, but the maître d' at the hotel restaurant wasn't about to send a guest to an appealing option.

The student union also had a vending machine room that featured Asian treats.  I was overwhelmed!

  

  

  

I chose preserved mango, which was
not what I expected. Edible but meh.

In addition to the architecture, there were lots of plants with which I am not familiar:

I could recognize wisteria - this is the seating area for
one of the food courts, closed due to spring break.

  

  



Monday night the event scheduled some "Dine Around" groups, and mine was sent to a pricey steakhouse.  We discussed quickly and decided to find a local place, ending up with hotpot that was tasty and much less expensive.  

Definitely a place to check out next year - and next door is a Korean quickstop that I noted for my Sunday meal because we're supposed to be in the same place next year.  Less than a mile away, so definitely an easy walk for me!

It's Easter today, for those who follow the Roman calculations (Western Christians count from the vernal equinox), and I bought a small treat for myself:

My mother suggested that we have our weekly soufflé today, and it was very well-risen, which seems in keeping with the holiday that some are celebrating:

This week it rose higher than the rim of the dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment