16 August 2020

Back online, with hats

Tuesday, August 4th, Tropical Storm Isaias came ashore in Connecticut and did impressive damage.  I took some photos which are not great; you can find plenty online showing trees down, buildings and other property damaged.  Some trees looked as if they had been wrung; my friend Rich took this photo:

I was lucky, as we had little to no power loss in my condo community.  However, the internet/phone/TV utility went out, and after two days of pushing the posted estimate for repair further, they switched to "as soon as possible".  Since I use internet for work (also the landline phone, to a more limited extent), I got permission from work to charge my additional data draws to work, as long as it didn't get too expensive.

It worked out to an extra 2-3GB per day.  For a week, although on the weekend I used as little as possible.  I didn't feel right about doing social things when work was paying for the additional data.  Online meetings take a LOT of data, in case you were wondering.

On Tuesday, a week after the storm, late in the day, they predicted that we'd get service back by around 3:00am on Friday.  Wednesday afternoon I was startled to hear the phone ring - naturally, it was a robocall.*  While I had to pop back onto the hotspot a couple of times on Thursday to get through a work meeting when the internet faded, by Friday morning it was indeed back to being stable.

I still feel that I came out well, as some people were without power for nine days.  Not only did they lose any food in their refrigerator (at least two friends said they'd just done a big shopping trip) but some needed CPAPs or other devices to help them sleep, or other medical support.

I've caught up on a couple lectures that happened while I was offline.  It's quite handy that they record them and you have a week or two in which to watch or rewatch.  One is on Chicago architecture styles, the other on Nicola Tesla.

* I think the robotcall was from the National Republican Congressional Committee, which was funny because our primary election was the day before.  I voted by absentee ballot, which I often do because of travel, but this time I dropped it into a box at Town Hall instead of mailing, especially as it arrived only the Saturday before.


How is my August Mini-Resolution going?

  • The Boneyard Shawl is still in timeout.  I've felt the need to work through some of the stash I'm trying to divest - I know, counterintuitive - and I've made a scarf and four hats:

Counterclockwise from the top right: hat of leftover deep blue and the last bit of some handdyed/handspun; the scarf of Aslan Trends "Los Andes"; a hat of Nashua Stripes and some leftover brown; hat of leftover green and some fingering weight wool I dyed, and used doubled; and the bottom center hat is from a ball of Knitting Notions Classic Merino Sport and some random pink/multi from the stash (I'd planned to use a different pattern but the yarns blended too much so I just did garter stripes).  On the bottom right is a partly done hat, somebody did the center part and it cupped, so I decided to add sides and turn it into a hat.  For a long time it was a decoration at MakeHartford for the String Thing area, and when MH closed I brought anything not wanted home and finally have been going through the last bag of yarn and bits.  My addition is in a very close shade of green, but just single crochet, not entrelac Tunisian.  Or any Tunisian.

  • Other UFOs remain UFOs at this time.  Unless you count the fifth hat, but I didn't do the starting part and it's not really from MY stash.
  • At least one non-fiber project progressed a bit.  What else could I do without internet or TV?  I pulled out DVDs and audio books, and finished a novel and an anthology by Agatha Christie.
  • Thrift store load progressed a bit.  I posted that if the charity group that will receive the items I've made wants the animal-fiber yarns to let me know, otherwise they go to the thrift store too.
  • Yarn diet - well, not perfect, because I signed up for a yarn club, but the first delivery is at the end of September and they had only one week for subscriptions.  So I count it, and I can yarn diet through September.
Edited to add:  During the KnitTalk zoomcall in the evening, I finished another hat:
This was also in the makerspace stash, and mostly finished, but partly unraveled while I untangled the last of the yarns in the big bag o' stash.  It didn't take much to finish the final wedge and sew it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment