02 November 2021

Those who came before.

I voted early this morning.  They were giving out great stickers at my polling location; after I read the fine print at the bottom to the poll watcher at the exit, she said I could take as many as I wanted.  I decided to be polite and just took the biographical ones:
As I left one of the candidate representatives outside called out "Thank you for voting!"  It always surprises me to hear it because I know what a privilege this is.  As the great-great-granddaughter of people who fled their country (think Fiddler on the Roof without the production values) to come here, I cannot imagine why I wouldn't vote.  Especially because these women had to fight for it on my behalf, even though they were fighting before I was born, and gained the right 101 years ago.

For me.  For us.

No comments:

Post a Comment