09 May 2022

Mother's Day 2022

I managed to get here for the holiday; I was supposed to fly on Friday, but there were storms and my parents worried.  So on Thursday I changed my flights to Saturday afternoon, then because my parents worried about more storms, to Saturday morning.  Hurrah for Southwest making changes easy and without imposing additional fees.

There was a three-house layover in Baltimore, but Terminal C was nearly empty so I had time to walk steps, and write an article, and edit a newsletter, and so on.  On the way home my mother drove past a couple houses she wanted me to see, in case I am inclined to buy (being closer to family, after the last two years, is appealing) and one was open following a garage sale.  We stopped to see and my mother explained she'd spoken to a sibling the week before, so we got to look around (it's an estate sale) and while the house is bigger than I want, I did buy a Cubii and a sewing machine.

Ah - the era of the cabinet and machine colour!

They included several boxes and such of sewing supplies.

The daughter was delighted that I was not only interested in the sewing machine but knowledgeable, and my parents agreed to store it until I figure out about moving here.  Now I am inclined to take the Anna Dress class at Stitches @ Home in June, since I will be here and can do the sewing.  It's somewhat my style of easy dressing, especially if I can fit it to my dimensions and add pockets.

Then my father and I spent some time in the evening going over the latest papers for my uncle's care.

For Mother's Day I made two meals; a cheese soufflé for luncheon, which has become a tradition for Sundays when I visit, and then baked salmon with herbed butter sauce and roasted sweet potatoes for supper.  This entailed just getting them into the oven at the correct times.  Mom was going to cook but I snuck around and did it instead.  Mom said she felt very lazy but hey - it's Mother's Day!  She's entitled!

We also called my grandmother and she felt very much attended, since it's rare that all three of us (my mother, my brother, and myself) call her on the same day.  The shawls have not yet arrived, and I hope she likes them - but as my grandmother told me, she loves anything I make for her.

The gifts to my mother and sister-in-law were donations to local food pantries.  There is such need, especially with the rise in food prices, and as Mom said, she doesn't need more things to dust.  So we are happy to provide meals to our neighbors.

One funny bit:  My mother noticed my new eyeglasses immediately when she picked me up at the airport.  It wasn't until the next day that she noticed my haircut!  And yes, with air-drying the waves come out and it looks shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment