14 March 2024

π day 2024

I wasn't sure what I would do to celebrate today, but a plan came together.


I had trouble deciding what type of pie to make, and how large.  I'm still not sure I can find all my pie plates, or should I use a small cake pan?  If I made a big pie, who would want to share it?  It came down to a chicken pie or a peach pie, because I have both in the freezer.  Then I got the crazy idea to try both.  Together.  In one dish.

I wasn't feeling excited about making pie crust, and when I took the peaches and chicken out to thaw, noticed a roll of puff pastry I'd stashed over the holidays.  Perfect solution!

The chicken part would be a riff on b'stilla, with a bit of some 14th-16th Century as well.  The peach pie would be much more traditional, other than the crust.  For the b'stilla I checked a couple of recipes, scaled them down, and decided to use some Penzy's Pie Spice in addition to the saffron and a bit of black pepper.  Most recipes just use cinnamin, saffron, and pepper.

First step is to cook chicken with onion, saffron, butter, and water:
  
While that simmered I lined the dish with pastry and saved the rest for on top:

I also mixed the peaches, about half the full recipe:
   

I made a wall of pastry to keep the two sides apart.  Yes, I should have chilled the pie, but I was heating the oven and didn't want to put a cold Corning Ware® item into a hot oven, just in case.

Next, I chopped almonds and added raisins (which are not traditional in b'stilla, but I like them and they fit with the additional spices), then chopped up the almost-cooked chicken, and put everything back into the pot to cook until the liquid was gone:

When that happened, I let it cool a bit, then added a beaten egg and the spices, stirred it all together, and spooned the filling into the other side of the dish, where it fit perfectly:
   

I added a suitably marked top and it was time for the oven - 350ºF for about 45 minutes.


It was very yummy, and the two sides hold together nicely:

I've got suppers covered for two more nights.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Oh that's wonderful! Love it!

Post a Comment