07 July 2024

'Scaping

I love garlic scapes.

When I can obtain them in the spring, I often use them as a vegetable in various things: stir-fries, simmered with meat or vegetables or rice, roasted, and anything else that appeals.  I know you can make pesto with them, but often eat the scapes before I can accomplish it.

A friend of mine posted about making garlic scapes pesto in early June, and I decided that if I could find enough of them, I would make some this year.  His 'recipe' is:  "Basic proportions/ingredients: One bunch of garlic scapes, two cups of shelled pistachios, two cups of fresh Parmesan cheese, 1.5 cup olive oil, basil, parsley, lemon juice, salt & pepper to taste."  I tasted some of his while visiting, and decided that I wanted less cheese (or a milder cheese) and parsley instead of basil.

I used the following:  About 1.5 bunches of garlic scapes, Cheese Bros. Fratello, less than a cup of olive oil then canola oil to get the consistency I wanted, half a large bunch of flat-leaf parsley, a cup of pistachios (because the store didn't have pre-shelled and I got tired of shelling), and I forgot lemon juice.


The pesto is about what I wanted, but very garlicky.  Which I like, but I have to remember to tone it down for others, or if I am going out within a few hours and don't want to have too offensive breath.😩💨

In other news, I made a hat before going on a very fast trip to Dallas:

   
Yarn is Up North Yarns DK in "Love from Peter Max".

The trip was to cash in my winnings at the Dallas Winds Star Spangled Spectacular, getting to sit onstage during the first half, and set off some of the streamer cannon during the finale.

Everybody was very sweet and it was a lot of fun, and being onstage was an entirely different level of surroundsound.

They had holiday-appropriate foods available pre-concert.  I split the cupcake with a friend, who had his own hot dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment