22 January 2022

Souper Saturday.

Yesterday I decided to join a weekly session called "Shining Lights" which is designed "to shine a little light into the dark spaces. Come be inspired by examples of kindness, bravery, and hope all around us .... connect over Zoom to be reminded of how much love and beauty there is in the world."  We started with a discussion of the hostage-taking at the synagogue in Colleyville last week.  Apparently it dropped immediately off national news reporting, which I didn't realize because I have been following the papers there and of course they have constant reports.  We agreed that it seems sad but unless people die, most of the news quickly loses interest.

Then in the evening we had Rev. Alvin Johnson speak to our service, giving words of wisdom as a longtime friend of the congregation and our rabbis, and also a pillar of the community.  It was good to hear from him, as we often do around the MLK day observances.

Speaking of which, due to the weather, I was late to the blanket-making session.  I used the additional time at home (to be sure the roads were clear enough to drive safely) to write some more cards for the Meals on Wheels collections.  Then I stayed to help make egg salad sandwiches which were destined to be lunch at the South Park Inn on Tuesday.

We were supposed to provide 60 sandwiches, we ended up with about 70 plus leftover filling that the children ate while the adults cleaned the kitchen.  It was amazing where we found egg salad.  Start to finish was about 90 minutes, very impressive.

Most of the week was standard in terms of work.  I continued to make progress on the pullover and pulled out a UFO scarf.  Yesterday I did the weekly errands because today I was enrolled in a One Day University course on Abraham Lincoln, which I enjoyed.

I also made soup from a 1948/1951 cookbook:


I may have over-simmered it a bit.  I tried to halve the recipe, for practicality, and didn't measure exactly.  I also substituted carrot (which I have) for celery (which I rarely have), left out the bacon and flour (it was clearly thick enough), and didn't soak the lentils.  Overall, it's not bad, and fairly close to ad hoc recipes I make.  I definitely wanted some more seasoning, just having what the frankfurters brought was a bit one-note.

No comments:

Post a Comment