01 January 2022

Begin as you mean to go on.

 

Some people say it's a good thing to start the new year doing what you intend to do; others say that what you do is an indicator of how your year will go.  I like the former idea a little better, giving autonomy to the practice; tying in with something from this week's parsha or bible study:  "I shall be that which I wish to be."  For those keeping track, this is what I expect to do in 2022:

  • Cooking
  • Reading
  • Knitting and Crocheting
  • Eating ice cream
Inc has an article with some good, small suggestions for "small joys" for 2022.  I already do most of them (not naps on most days, and some days weather isn't conducive to going outside), so I may try to focus a little more on the ones I don't.  Most people who know me understand how difficult the seventh one can be for me.

Resolutions for 2022

Borrowing from last year's list, this is what I plan/hope for the coming year:
  • Read (or finish) eight books.  I do read plenty of magazines and shorter stories, this commits me to full books.  I have two still in progress from last year, and hope to finish at least one of them as one of the eight.  These are, by the way, paper books, not e-books, as are all the ones I read last year.  Once I am finished, I usually pass the books along, either directly to another reader, back to the library or person who lent it to me, or to a secondhand shop or library sale shelf for somebody else to find and enjoy.
  • Complete the two UFOs remaining from 2021.  This is where they are as of this morning:
  • Complete at least two other UFOs.  One of them will be either of these, so I can wear it at DFW Fiber Fest 2022 in September:
Top of Fiberlady "Swirl" in "Oh, Happy Day",
a special colourway created for DFW Fiber Fest.
Yoke is finished and now it's just a foot-and-a-quarter of body.
I think I need to reknit the sleeve edges on smaller needles.

This is the "We Knit In Texas, Y'All" cowl, converted to
a vest.  I bought two of the kits and am struggling with
the neckline and armhole borders.  Then it's weave in ends.
  • Finish the pullover I started for myself, and make a cardigan for myself.
  • Make another cheese soufflé.  I probably have to do this at my parents' home.
Resolutions are not big in my religion, and I've heard of people talk of "setting an intention" for the year ahead.  A knitting adventure I should be following (but haven't, because I tend to wait for all the clues and then create the thing, plus I was working on other projects) suggested these to start your thoughts:

I will start my days with _____________.

I will approach life with _____________.

When things get overwhelming, I will _____________.

I may finish the last one with "eat some ice-cream" or "take a walk".

Speaking of walks, if I want to start this year with another thing I would like to keep doing, I should go out for one of those.  It's rainy but not cold at all; the current temperature is 47°F.

No comments:

Post a Comment