01 January 2024

As I mean to go on.


I didn't get the 100th item done in 2023 - I decided a hat might be quick, but because I was partly following a pattern and partly adapting it to a ball of bulky yarn I had on hand, it wasn't.  Gauge is always an issue.

Without entirely expecting it to be quite as much as it was, 2023 was a year when, to quote Rainer Maria Rilke, "we welcome the new year, full of things that have never been."  I am still not happy about moving, although it's clearly good for me to be physically closer to my parents so I am trying to make the best of it.  I've joined a couple fiber groups and may join a historical fiction reading group; the current book is based upon fact, which is the kind I enjoy, but the meeting is the same evening and time as one of the fiber groups, and I have my priorities.  I wasn't sure I could obtain and read the book in time, and given my history for reading on deadline, I really didn't want the pressure just now.

If what you do on the first day sets the year ahead, mine will include yoga (I have done a class each morning of the holiday weekend, and I don't usually do one on Monday, but since it's a day off work, I slipped in the early class), reading, knitting and crocheting and other fiber arts stuff, walks, and spending time with family.

My resolutions for 2024

Reading:  No surprise, I know.  I am again going to tell Goodreads that I will read 12 books, since that is an easy goal.  I've seen people who read well over that, but at least three admit to using audiobooks and I prefer to count the ones I read on paper.  I still haven't adapted to using a screen reader, probably because I work all day at a computer and my eyes like the change.  If I accomplish twelve books read by midyear, I will increase my goal.

Cooking:  Again, I am going to commit to cooking or baking something historical once per month.  Instead of limiting my options to the YouTube channels I follow, I am going to opt also to cook from my old cookbooks and collections of historical recipes.  So I might end up with a year of cooking recipes from the channels, and I might mix things up.   I'll try to follow a channel recipe at least six times, roughly every other month.

Knitting/Crocheting/Crafting:  I have a few plans here:

  1. Finish at least two more UFOs.  Including that shawl, when I locate it.
  2. Get my spinning wheel repaired, if I cannot figure it out myself.  I've already asked a couple local people who said they will help.
  3. Make at least six things for me.  A tall order, since I am so accustomed to making things for others.  A pair of socks or mittens will count as one item, but if I make a hat and matching mittens, that will be two items, not one set.  My rules.

I've already started one item, while watching Michigan win (I didn't get far because it was a tense game towards the end, and I started winding the yarn during the first quarter):


 

And this:

No comments:

Post a Comment