23 January 2024

Baking Breakfast Cookies.

A quick post walking through something I baked for breakfast yesterday.  Usually my breakfast is some kind of cereal (oatmeal or a packet type) with fruit (dried in the porridge, fresh with the other, unless it's Raisin Bran) and yoghurt if it's the packet type because that is dry.  Sometimes orange or blended juice if I am eating Weetabix or Shredded wheat.  Once in a while I do a pastry thing, or a sandwich, depending upon what's in the house and my timing.

My friend Jodie posted a link to a recipe for Banana Blueberry Breakfast Cookies, which looked easy and interesting.  I thought I'd make some and see.  Since it's not blueberry season, I rehydrated some of the dried ones I use in my porridge.

Sunday night I took a banana out of the freezer (actually, a whole bag and then separated one when it was half-thawed, and put the rest back) to thaw, instead of buying a fresh banana.  Why waste a fresh banana in baking?  I wanted to do a half-batch because I don't need a dozen.  So these are my ingredients:

The banana looks brown and liquidy because that
is what happens when you freeze and thaw them.
The maple syrup is from a cousin's maple trees.

I didn't do an in-progress photo because it didn't look like much, since everything was fairly brown.  Also, I am not a content creator so I don't remember to take photos at every point and put a lot of natter about the recipe into my posts.  I made six cookies, and since I had a small spoonful of mini chocolate chips, one has very few blueberries and a bunch of chips on top.

They baked for the full time, and didn't get overly golden, but were firm.  I tried one as soon as it was cool enough to do so and it tasted mostly of banana.  Maybe I will try again during fresh blueberries season, but I think these would be fine without the blueberries.  Or maybe try chopped strawberries if you like that combination, or some other fruit that is compatible.

I also ate several slices of dried persimmon from Andy's Orchard.

Today I ate another one, curious to see how the overnight rest might affect the taste.  It was much softer, probably because it was in a closed container and the blueberries and banana held moisture that made the cookies softer.  The banana is less pronounced today, with the vanilla and cinnamon making themselves known.  It's still not something I'm overly excited about, but maybe it's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment