06 January 2024

Twelve days of "The 12 Days".

I kept stumbling across versions of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" and wondered whether I could find one for every day between Boxing Day and Twelfth Night, similar to how some people post a carol a day for the 24 days prior to Christmas, or my Hannukah series.


As I collected, I found more than twelve.  These are the versions I posted:

The First Day:  Pentatonix


The Third Day:  The Choir of Clare College, Cambridge  (that is rehearsal; this is a performance)

The Fourth Day:  Little Action Kids (I love their turtledoves!)

The Fifth Day:  Exeter University Singers

The Sixth Day:  The King's Singers and The Tabernacle Choir

The Seventh Day:  Angel City Chorale


The Ninth Day:  Tenebrae Choir


The Eleventh Day:  A doubleheader of fun ones from Straight No Chaser and these guys.

The Twelfth Day:  A short one.


Also, if you total up everything that arrives (some people dispute whether you send the previous day's items again, or just the ones for that day, but I like maths), your true love receives:
  • 12 Drummers Drumming
  • 22 Pipers Piping
  • 30 Lords a-Leaping
  • 36 Ladies Dancing
  • 40 Maids a-Milking (plus presumably their cows or goats)
  • 42 each of Swans a-Swimming and Geese a-Laying
  • 40 Gold Rings
  • 36 Calling Birds
  • 30 French Hens
  • 22 Turtledoves
  • 12 Partridges in Pear Trees

No wonder so many people like Frederick Silver's "The 12 Days AFTER Christmas"!
And "12 Days of Christmas - A correspondence by John Julius Norwich".

This year, the cost of all those items would be $46,729.86, without shipping.

Alan Sherman updated the song in the 1950's or 1960's.

I chose an appropriate bar of soap to use during the Twelve Days of Christmas:

No comments:

Post a Comment