14 August 2022

Genesis 1:3

I am slightly chuffed about this morning's accomplishment, imperfect though it is.

Yesterday morning, when I went for a glass of tea, the refrigerator was dark.  Cold, but dark.  A quick check of the freezer showed everything was still frozen, and I noticed a hum, so the machine was overall working.  Thus, the light in the refrigerator had burned out.

My parents made sure I could do basic repairs, including changing light bulbs.  Of course, appliances use a certain size and I didn't have one in stock.  And on Saturday I do a yoga class, then Torah Study, and I had a Stitches@Home class, so it would be afternoon before I had time to go to the store.  I decided that unless I had a reason, I could get a new lightbulb first thing on Sunday.

Plus, on Sunday there is free parking in the center, where the local hardware store resides.  Then I realized that the grocery store probably also carries the lights, and I could pick up a couple other items.  An online check, I made a shopping list, and this morning headed over at the time it would be first open to get the items I wanted.

I didn't find the package I'd identified online, so a bit of study of the options (LOTS of options, for all kinds of lights) I selected a package that I decided would work, remembering that I probably should have removed and brought with me one of the bulbs.  One had always been dark; it was the second that died on Saturday.

At home, I got to work.  Quickly I realized I needed a work light, and luckily have those handy.  A bit of study, and it turns out the light cover is held by four plastic-headed screws, one of which is a bit stripped.  I could not move them by hand, so pulled out my power screwdriver, which required removing the top shelf for it to fit.  So I washed the shelf.

Three screws removed, I could remove the light cover, and after a bit of trial one of the bulbs loosened.  This may be why only one has worked for as long as I have been here.  I replaced it with one of the new ones - and light!

It's not as bright as the old one, but I didn't think I needed a high-intensity light.  Maybe someday I'll get the other light replaced, but there's enough light for now.  Cover back on, top shelf replaced, most of the items returned (some were questionable and have been relegated to the compost bucket), and all is well again.  As I said, not perfect because only one bulb was replaced, but I see the refrigerator contents again, it's good enough for now.

Two other things I did this week.  On Wednesday, I participated in an online play, and I had a somewhat large role, of friend-of a couple of the leads.  I needed costume changes, background changes, props, and watching entrances and exits.  So of course I rehearsed, and panicked, and all the usual.  But it went off as well as could be, and was fun when I got to watch the other performers.

On Tuesday I voted.  My primary had only two items on the ballot, which still seems odd to me after years of voting a lengthy booklet in Chicago, but I wouldn't miss the opportunity.
And yes, like a good Chicagoan, I went early.

This is some of what I picked up in my CSA share on Thursday:

Not shown are cherry and regular tomatoes (I also picked up a few 'seconds' to use in sauce), eggplant, and okra.  It's a delicious summer so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment