07 August 2022

From the top

I like the idea of a top-down sweater because you get to decide about length, and so on, and if the yarn isn't cooperative you have room to make adjustments on sleeves or otherwise.  But getting a decent fit to my shape is a challenge.  I did OK with a round-yoke design in Fiberlady yarn, although I ended up with a full skein extra, but I like the look of decorative raglans and have wanted to make one.
Trying on the top to see how it fits.
Yes, I have used this photo before.

So I am taking a class from Lily Chin in the current Stitches@Home series, one session yesterday, one today, and one next weekend.  I got the homework done in time:
 
The brownish one is the first sample, a miniature top-down.  I used an ancient Patons yarn from my stash.  The purple is the second sample, showing how to do a shaped front neckline in a top-down sweater.  It's shorter because I ran out of yarn.  No sleeves yet on either one.

We're supposed to start on our own sweater and have the yoke done by next weekend.  Math is involved!  And I've switched my planned yarn to something I dyed during a makerspace open weekend, plus the remaining undyed skeins, which I am debating about dyeing before I need them.  I have a week in which to decide.  I could also change my mind yet again - stash-diving may occur tomorrow.


Resolutions Update

I read two books in July, bringing my total so far this year to nine, which is one more than I committed to in January.  For Goodreads I said twelve, and I'm on target for that goal also.

I have made plenty of cheese soufflés, but no further progress on the remaining two UFOs.

The Falling Leaves Shawl has eight leaves now:


No comments:

Post a Comment