08 October 2022

Charitably

When I was at the Knitting in the Field with Sheep event last month, one of the woolies became very curious about what I was knitting - another Knit Your Bit scarf, since washable yarn seemed wise out in a field:

Yes, I do a lot of charity work - I just don't have enough people in my family who want items to keep up with my output.  In addition to the box of scarves to Knit Your Bit (finally mailed this week), I finished some more blocks for Warm Up, America! from the remaining Lion Brand Jamie (discontinued) yarn from my stash.  I donated ten blocks at DFW Fiber Fest:

The red-and-white striped is from leftovers of the Knit Your Bit scarves; the four around it are out of Jamie (mostly 'Mardi Gras Stripes' with white borders) and the others are from Red Heart Roll With It Tweed yarn.  I'd left them at a friends' house in Texas at the beginning of March 2020, thinking I would be back a month or so later for the 15th DFW Fiber Fest.  Little did we know that the Fifteenth would be delayed for over two years!

I also finished the last of my promised items for Mittens for Akkol.  Actually, I redid a set because the head Mamma has been uncertain about delivering items, and most of these are for Extra Grads.  I decided to keep one set, as it is nicely matching, to possibly sell at a crafts fair next year.  So I quickly made the blue set, using some old yarn from the stash, a partial ball of Tara Tweed that I finally finished (it's been in several items) and two balls of Elspeth Lavold Chunky Al that kept not turning into things.

The new blue set is top center, hat and mittens.  To the right is a scarf crocheted from Periwinkle Sheep yarn, matching a set I sent earlier.  Below that are pink-based hat and mittens, both striped.  In the center is a green hat with patterning (including a bit of the Tara Tweed) and below it a houndsooth hat to coordinate with items somebody else was making.  The colourful set on the left is from oddballs of Noro Kureyon and some other yarns, including light grey Lopi Lite.

I think I will shift to making Warm Up, America! items for a while.  I didn't realize they took things other than blanket pieces until I talked to their volunteers at DFW Fiber Fest.  It turns out they need a lot of scarves and mittens, since people tend to donate hats.  Scarves are one of my go-to items when I need to have something not requiring attention, so this will be easy for me, when I get tired of the limited range of options (colours, mostly) for the scarves for veterans via Knit Your Bit.

The volunteer for Warm Up, America! said that I can use washable wools for them also, as long as I mark it as wool in case of allergies.  So I am currently working on a scarf of Patons Classic Wool Superwash DK in gold.  I'd overdyed some of the yarn, but am not sure I can match it.  The dyed bits will be mittens, maybe a hat and mittens set.  I'll decide later.

I need to rewatch my classes from last month's Stitches Expo@Home before they expire tomorrow.  I think I remember everything I need to do, but a refresher and maybe some additional notes, now that I have had time away from it. wouldn't be a bad thing.

What better thing to do on I Love Yarn Day than to play with yarns?

No comments:

Post a Comment