28 December 2022

So this happened...........

One of the groups that sprang up online as a result of the pandemic is Plague Mask Players, which started as a group of actors frustrated when theatres shut down, and stayed shut.  They began performing the entire Shakespeare canon, and branched out into other less-known works, preferably by female authors, as time passed.  As the world began to open up they shifted to less frequent performances.

I knew a couple people who were part of the founders, and watched some early shows, and on a whim jumped into the 'casting' process - which consisted of the first ## persons to "Claim!" a role when the casting post opened.  While I've been part of theatre most of my life, most of that has been spend backstage (a bad role gave me serious stage fright early in high school, from which I've never really recovered) and I found that I thrive backstage, especially roles such as props and stage manager.  Of course there is very little need for these in a virtual theatre (except such props as each performer brings) so I've had to overcome my fears and learn to perform.  The upside of how PMP works is that it's just a reading, you don't have to learn blocking and memorize lines and all the things I find difficult.

So it's been fun, and while I couldn't be in every show, I've done a number of this season's performances.

At the end of the season they hold an awards ceremony, the Billy Awards:

I didn't attend last year's ceremony for some reason, and although I was nominated as part of a troupe, we didn't win.

This season, I was nominated for Best Stage Directions for the production of Antigone.  (I also jumped in last-minute to play a small role when the scheduled performer had a medical emergency, so was Creon's son in an "Almost Famous" sweatshirt - the sort of costume choice one makes on ten minutes' notice.)  I was a presenter for Best Props at the awards ceremony.  And I was surprised enough that I won for Stage Directions:

Then, towards the end of the ceremony, shortly before Best Production (for Alice in Wonderland, I think to nobody's surprise), this happened:

I think I am going to be in shock for some time to come.  One of the founders, producers, etc. said when posting about it after the ceremony:  "Special shout out to Margo Lynn who is our MVP! She is an invaluable member who embodies everything we are passionate about. She is all-in, always performs to the fullest, jumps in to help, and is a joy to watch."  For somebody who has been happiest behind the stage, to be recognized for performances is truly an utter shock.

Especially when I am part of this group of winners, several of whom won in multiple categories:

No comments:

Post a Comment