30 April 2023

Apple Hash.

I finally got around to my resolution for cooking a historical recipe, although it's from a book I own, not one of the historical cooking channels.  So I have to catch up on two months of cooking from the YouTube channels.

This is a fairly simple recipe from 1711:

I followed it pretty much as written:
Apple peeled and cut crosswise, core removed.
I ate the peels and the top and bottom bits while cooking.

Butter melting in a pan, and whole wheat flour.


Apples, dipped in whole wheat flour, frying in melted butter.


Carefully turned, browning on the other side.

 Some of the butter and flour bits burned slightly between batches.  It didn't affect the taste, but might be visually unappealing.  I did add butter between the batches and a tiny bit after the flips.

Then I wiped out the pan and used the same one to make the sauce:
Butter and sugar and rosemary for the sauce.
About a tablespoon each of butter and sugar.

Pear wine added - about two or three tablespoons.
Also a couple good pinches of dried rosemary.


I don't currently have fresh rosemary, so made do with dried.  Quantities are guesswork, of course.  Then I simmered on a low flame to reduce the sauce, which made it a rather caramelly.

Pouring over the sauce, which was reduced to
about half its original volume.

And I realized after sampling that I had forgotten to sprinkle on some cinnamon before tasting, although I had it waiting by the stove.


Opinion?  Very buttery, not too sweet.  The wine and the rosemary cut the sweetness of the sauce nicely.  I didn't particularly miss the cinnamon, although I may try this again once I have live rosemary to see how it would be different.  I had a mild apple, and would like to see how something sharper stands up to the frying and sauce.

I did notice that butter leached into the dish, probably from the frying stage:

I didn't sop it up, but if you have bread handy it might not be bad.  All of the sauce was eaten with the apple slices, which were soft but not mushy.  Something of a comfort food or chilly rainy day dish, and today happens to be dreary and rainy.

This is the frontpiece of the book from which comes the receipt:

Quite light on recipes, and heavy on Remedies.  Range is 12th to 18th Centuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment