23 April 2023

Started a Shawl.

After finishing my grandmother's blanket, I wasn't sure what to do.  In a weekly fiber group meeting somebody mentioned the Reyna Shawl pattern, which she was knitting using yarn donated to the local senior center as part of a fundraiser.  The pattern seemed easy, which I needed as a change from the blanket.

While looking for yarn I found several balls of Berroco "Topaz", which is discontinued, and decided to use two of them for this shawl.  So I cast on, and typically of a top-down, it's been moving quickly.  I'm into the second ball at this point.

I have continued working on the mitered squares scarf I am making from Red Heart Super Saver in "Peru Stripes", which may be out of production.  A pity, because I like the colours and pattern:
My plan is to stop this portion after the sixth square, since that will be about forty inches long.  I will pick up and work in the other direction, doing either five or six squares, and I might use the remaining yarn to make a matching hat.

I suppose I could make money selling discontinued yarn online, but I don't feel the need to put the energy into that right now.  And I don't mind using it, especially if I like the colours.

While doing another round of unpacking and organizing during a rainy yesterday I found a couple other WIP/UFOs, including a simple scarf I'd cast on during the North Texas Irish Festival and apparently forgot in my luggage during the chaos of March and early April.  I am going to keep it to work on during my trip to Texas in early May, when we have our quarterly department in-person meeting.  I plan to go a bit early and see a few plays.

Today the weather was better, and I went out geocaching.  I am definitely not going to win, and at this point I doubt I will find all of the caches.  I did find two of the ones for "BINGO" and took a few pretty photographs of creatures I saw.  None of these are caches.  😊

  

   

I had an amusing phonecall earlier this week.  Somebody called from Connecticut, and since I don't have all the people I know in my phone, I answered.  The caller said she wanted to talk to me about my condo, and I cheerfully informed her that I'd sold it last month and she needs to speak to the new owner.  I was much amused - apparently the public records are not updated that quickly.  And I received considerably more than the last cold-caller offered.


Resolution Realization:  I skipped the monthly recipe from a historical YouTube series or cookbook in March, in part because of moving and also because my refrigerator died.  Now that Tasting History's cookbook has arrived, and my kitchen is coming together, I should be able to catch up.  At least I'll get one done in April - maybe strawberry jam, because those are in season and I keep overbuying at the farmer's market.

No comments:

Post a Comment