26 November 2023

Still working on leftovers.

We had a fairly traditional American Thanksgiving meal on Thursday, allowing for it being from a grocery store instead of home-cooked.  Because of the serving sizes, and my mother buying several extra side dishes so we'd have plenty of options, we have a LOT of leftovers.  I've done several different meals and plan to simmer the remaining bits (sans skin) into soup tomorrow.

Not today - I was enjoying being somewhat lazy, and getting a long walk before the weather turns very cold over the next few days.  I did bake bread, trying a new recipe, which didn't look promising but came out fairly well.  Since I used a frozen-and-thawed banana, it probably had more liquid than the one used by the recipe developer, and so I had a very wet dough.  It didn't rise during proofing, but rose fairly well when baked.  Since I still had a lot of guava nectar from the cake I baked last weekend, I used that instead of the milk called for in the recipe, and it was a good but noticeable substitute.  This won't be great for turkey sandwiches, but I can see it with cream cheese for breakfast, or almond butter for lunch.

I had to work on Friday, but Thursday and the weekend were quiet except for errands, family, and football.  I finished a scarf for charity, and sent a package of hats to an online friend who has been making items for the Blue Elves:

Tagged with washing instructions.

She sent some baby bibs to me, the kind with a band you can embroider, at no cost because she wanted to clear them out of her stash.  I wanted to do something in return, so this was it.  The brown-and-orange hat and the black-and-yellow reflective yarn hat were left over from the arts & crafts sale earlier this month.  I had the mittens done and finished the matching hat (you can just see a bit of it peeking underneath, and I have enough remaining of that yarn for another hat!), then wanted a fourth one since she sent four bibs.  I made the purple-pink one overnight, out of an odd skein of bulky yarn I'd gotten from an indie dyer as part of her mystery skeins oddballs cleanout earlier this year.

I expect that tomorrow will be very busy as people come back from a long weekend or a whole week away, and start responding to things.  Just as long as I can watch the Bears v. Vikings football game!


Added later:  The recipient of the hats emailed that she received the hats in time, as they arrived on Monday and she was scheduled to deliver items on the Friday.  And she was thankful for the contribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment