20 November 2023

The second ten of 2023

Continuing the gratitude list for this year:

Day 11:  Thankful to our veterans, as on any Armistice/Veterans Day.  On the fourth I went to the memorials in DC for those who died in service, today is for those who returned.  Not all of them are whole, and not all treated well, but as the saying goes:

So many who returned from overseas did not return whole, either in mind or body or both.  It's startling to me to hear about how they were treated, and are treated to this day - not with honor, but with disdain.

Day 12:  Thankful for people who do art, and crafters, and those who support them.  I participated in a local arts & crafts show, and while I didn't sell much, I did sell a few things.  People were very kind in their comments and suggestions, so I may try again next year.  I participated several years in Open Studios Hartford through MakeHartford and it was discouraging, so this was a change - not a huge one, I didn't sell out, but I received good feedback, so I'll see how next year goes.



Day 13: It was World Kindness Day on November 13th, so I am Thankful for those who remember that kindness is important, and even more for those who express it.

Day 14: Thankful for musicians, and all musical performers. I grew up surrounded by them, and have gotten to know many more as my life progressed. I spent part of the evening listening to one of my friends perform as the musical guest on this podcast tonight. It was a special treat during the pandemic for my grandmother and me to listen to his weekly mini-concerts, and when she died I received the CDs he'd sent her, which she enjoyed listening to on the CD player I sent to her so she could have music between the concerts.

Day 15: Thankful for heat, a warm house, and people keeping the heating system running. Not that it needed anything special, but it was the yearly check of the system and I know there are many people without a warm home, so it makes me thankful that I have one.

Day 16: continuing the theme: Thankful for clean water and indoor plumbing. Again, many people do not have these modern advantages. (Also thankful that I can do minor plumbing work myself, and know people to call upon when it's beyond my skillset.)

Day 17:  Thankful for the U.S. Postal Service, and the postal systems in other countries.  Yes, there are other delivery services, some of which are more or less reliable, but in the beginning was postal systems.  I prefer them, for the pretty stamps, with holiday and birthday and congratulatory options, and commemoratives, and so on.  Plus there is something very nice about writing by hand, or even typing and adding pictures, and putting it in an envelope, and sending.  These days when so much happens electronically, a paper letter or card really seems a treat.

Day 18:  Thankful for symphony orchestras and smaller orchestras and wind bands, and conductors who really connect to the audiences.  I went to hear the North Carolina Symphony tonight and during the Leonard Bernstein piece, the conductor encouraged the audience to add appropriately, which we did with enthusiasm.  My snapping may not be great anymore, but I can shout "Mambo!" on cue.

Day 19:  Thankful for the interwebs and social media and all the ways to stay connected, from the friend on the other side of the world whose post inspired the previous blog post about six-word bios, to the online programs I attend from organizations all over the world (and kudos to those that didn't stop when the pandemic eased and most returned to in-person events), to the groups that meet online for an hour or so of chat and community.  Plus all the places I have visited that I wouldn't have seen otherwise, and the people who show me new foods and methods of travel and places to explore and buy books or museums that aren't in the usual guidebooks.  And people who do cooking and crafting and have intrigued and inspired me.  It may not be what the founders thought of when they set DARPANET loose, but as with any such thing, there are many good things among the dross and I love finding them.

Day 20:  Thankful that I can cook.  I am always surprised to learn that not everybody can.  My mother made sure we kids knew early how to take care of ourselves, including cooking.  When I haven't had much money, I still could eat, and fairly well.  I can cook and bake for others, too.  Many people think it takes too much time to cook, but I find that going out and sitting in a restaurant and then getting home again takes more time than I need to cook many of my meals - and I can cook in my pyjamas.  Restaurants tend to frown on people in pyjamas.  And I feel less wasteful because I don't mind eating leftovers (sometimes using them as starter parts of a different meal) and I compost the bits that cannot be eaten.

Guava Cake (Queque de Guyaba) that I baked for an event
tomorrow.  The glaze is pink from the guava nectar.


No comments:

Post a Comment