30 November 2023

The third and final ten of 2023.

Day 21: Thankful that not only do I have enough food, but that I have enough to share, whether a cake for an event tonight or donating to the local food pantry so others can have Thanksgiving meals.

Day 22: Thankful that I had my grandmother for as many years as I did. My Facebook memories popped up a few photos I'd posted on a post-turkey walk five years ago, and I realized it was the last holiday we all had together (the following year my father was ill - not horribly, but too much to travel, and my mother stayed home with him, then pandemic), and I started missing her terribly.

One of my favourite photos of the two of us,
when we visited the Morikami Gardens.

Day 23: Same as every year, thankful for this guy:

My baby brother, as a toddler.
He's older now and has much less hair.

Day 24: Thankful that I didn't need to go out into the Black Friday crowds, and that I could shop online for the things that others (Toys for Tots, Durham Rescue Mission Angel Tree) need. And my brother loved that this year his birthday gift was that 42 people had Thanksgiving supper plus extras at the Durham Rescue Mission last night.

Day 25: Thankful for all the people who run a small business. I know how hard it can be, and try to shop at as many of them as I can. Just a few of my favourites:

And more independent hand-dyers (also called 'indie dyers') and local yarn (and other craft supplies) shops than I can list!

Day 26: How can I not be thankful for museums on Museum Store Sunday? I've been going to museums since I was carried in my mother's arms (and probably when I was carried in her tummy), and they are one of the places I seek out wherever I travel. I've lived as close as across the street and definitely took advantage of that on some lonely and weather-dismal weekends when I first lived in that town. I've met interesting people at museums and made a number of friends from those contacts. Plus ALL THE STUFF I'VE LEARNED!!!!!

As a note:  Museums are not just stuff in buildings.  Some are open-air spaces that teach about how people lived during a time, or in an area.  Some are just a room in a larger building.  Keep your eyes open and look for all kinds, as sometimes the less-standard-looking ones are most interesting.

Day 27: Thankful for technology. Not just because it is Cyber Monday, but all the technologies that help people I know (pacemakers, cochlear implants, motorized wheelchairs), medical technology for surgeries and treatments of all kinds, technology for transportation and communication, and so many more things that we take for granted. Every day there's something new and different - I applaud the breakthroughs and encourage everybody to use technology for good.

Day 28: Thankful for my family, and since it's Giving Tuesday the lesson about giving to others. From a young age I was taught that I should share what I have and help people who need helping. It has stuck with me, and is why I donate items to thrift stores, or Habitat for Humanity and shelters and other places that can use things. I knit and crochet items to donate, and I contribute to food pantries and community gardens. Even when I didn't have money, I could give time by helping to make sandwiches, build a house, or sit with somebody in hospital. Giving doesn't always mean money.

Day 29: Thankful for all the first responders: Police, EMTs, Firefighters, and others who keep us safe and help when needed. I know that this can be controversial, given the last few years. I have friends who are in these roles, and others such as firejumpers, and I know what they commit to the job and the community. Not all people who wear a uniform or a badge are bad people, but of course those are the ones who get the most publicity. Two of my close friends lost their fathers in the line of duty, and in Chicago I supported a group that fundraised to provide for police officers who were disabled from injuries received on the job, and their families, and the families of officers who died on the job. More than once I've needed help from somebody in one of these roles, and I am glad that I can call upon them when I do.

Day 30:  Last, but never least, I am thankful for my FRIENDS. I don't have hundreds on Facebook, and except for a small percentage (usually friend-of-friend with whom I have strong common interests) they are all people I've met and often with whom I have spent time in the past. I also have friends who aren't part of my Facebook circle; we do it the old-fashioned way! Some people I call "friend" I have not seen in person in many years, but I know if I turn up on their doorstep, I'll be invited in and we'll catch up for hours. If they turn up on mine, I'll probably invite them in for tea and cookies. I've gone out of my way for some, and am always surprised and touched when they do the same for me.

So the month ends - different every year. It's an effort to remember to post on Facebook every day, and sometimes to find something new to say, but it's a good reminder every year of all the things for which I can be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment