16 June 2024

Flag Day and Father's Day

Two big events this weekend.

On Friday, it was Flag Day, commemorating the date in 1777 when the Continental Congress adopted the first version of the USA national flag.  I posted these photos, two of my favourites:

The famous photo taken by Thomas E. Franklin: "Raising the Flag at Ground Zero"

Joe Rosenthal's Pulitzer prize winning photograph of the flag raising on Iwo Jima.

Today is Father's Day in the USA.  My family got together at my parents' house to celebrate with burgers and cupcakes.  Gifts were donations to favourite charities because neither my father or brother need things.  I gave this hat to my father a few years ago:

Mom didn't think he needed any more ballcaps, but forgave me for this one.

Speaking of Mom, she was happy that the farmer came to their community center with a farmstand again.  It wasn't clear that he would be back after last summer.  So we went over, had a reunion, and bought lots of peaches, cucumbers, tomatoes, squashes, and a couple watermelons, several of which turned up in our celebratory lunch.  And I picked some wild blackberries this morning, so it was a wonderful, fruit-filled feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment