23 June 2024

Tomato Season Begins

And of course, must be properly commemorated.  First was a fresh tomato pizza that I made after helping my parents clear two rooms in their house that are having carpeting replaced:

Simple crust with chopped herbs in the dough, topped with
slabs of fresh tomatoes and lots of fresh mozzarella cheese.

That's not the only moving-of-stuff I did; somebody posted on the neighborhood e-group that a friend needed a small chest of drawers, did anybody have one?  I bought and put together a couple of simple ones when I moved here and needed places for things.  Later I bought a nice cherry bureau from a neighbor who was downsizing, because it fits my aesthetic better than the plain one, although I'd gotten one that had a midcentury modern feel.

So I offered the plain chest, it was accepted, how soon could she get it?  I asked her to wait until end of my work day, and during a break did a quick emptying of the plain chest, then moved it to the garage and brought the cherry one into the house.  Where it remained in the middle of the livingroom until the next day, because I was too busy Friday to finish.

On Saturday I wiped down the chest, and used a few nails from my toolkit to attach the backing securely on one side where it had come loose.  Then I moved it into place and put the things from the plain chest into it.  The bureau is enough deeper, although about the same height, that everything from the plain chest fit into it with room to spare. 

Today I had my first fresh tomato sandwich of the season:

Plain bread, toasted.  Mayonnaise.
Slabs of tomato.  Freshly ground pepper.

And blackberries are definitely ripening in the thickets:


I did not plan to pick berries that morning as I still have a lot of very ripe peaches, but there were so many people and dogs on the route I planned to take that I made a sudden decision to find a less busy route.  Luckily it was a bit shady so I didn't mind using my hat to carry as I easily picked well more than my hands would hold.

Work is at quarter-end and I have some fiber projects on deadline and my part of an article due tomorrow, so it's been busy.  And HOT.

Time for ice-cream, with berries, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment